Envision DTP are excited to be offering summer placements as part of NERC’s Research Experience Placements (REP) scheme. These placements give undergraduate students the opportunity to work within one of our partner organisations on a 6-10-week placement on an environmental science research project.
The REP scheme is intended to encourage students to consider a career in the environmental sciences through funding to support paid summer placements for undergraduate students. Students will carry out research projects within the environmental sciences and undergraduates from any science discipline will be eligible.
We particularly welcome applications from three key areas that represent our identified skills, demographic, and diversity-related challenges:
- Undergraduates who are Black, Chinese, Asian, Arabic, or of another non-white ethnicity
- Undergraduates who are from low-income backgrounds
- Undergraduates currently studying in a quantitative/data-based discipline who are interested in applying their skills within the environmental sciences.
REP placements will be between 6 and 10 weeks, with flexibility for part-time working and will take place over the summer period (the agreed dates will be determined between the supervisor and student following acceptance of a placement offer). Students will be paid at least the UK national minimum wage with a contribution of up to £500 for research costs.
There are no further funds available for relocation or living expenses and students must be resident in the UK during the placement.
Students who successfully complete a REP with Envision, and subsequently apply for an Envision funded PhD, will be guaranteed an interview for that PhD.
Students are subject to eligibility criteria to be able to apply for NERC REPs And must be:
- undertaking their first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters).
- eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (Details of eligibility for PhD studentships can be found here).
Applications for the 2022 REP scheme are now closed. We hope to have more Research Experience Placements in 2023, these will be confirmed in April 2023.
- Applications are screened for eligibility (the EDI form is not shared with supervisors)
- Supervisors nominate candidates for confirmation by the Envision panel
Candidates will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Fit to project
- Enthusiasm for environmental research
- Potential interest in research career
- Fit to identified skills gaps, demographic, and/or diversity-related challenges