Paid summer placement opportunity
A funded opportunity is available for an undergraduate student (subject to eligibility criteria, see below) to be part of SOS research during summer 2017. The opportunity is part of the research of Dr Simon Neill’s shelf sea modelling research group, and will focus on how tides can be used to generate electricity from contrasting regions around the world. The research placement will run from mid-July until mid-September (flexible), and will be supported by a student stipend of £200 per week supported by the NERC ENVISION Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP). The opportunity will provide experience in oceanography and marine energy, training in ocean modelling and time series analysis, and the development of writing skills within the context of research articles.
If you wish to apply for this funded placement, please send a 2-page CV and letter of motivation to Simon Neill (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the end of May. For further details about the placement or eligibility criteria, please email.
Dr Simon Neill
School of Ocean Sciences
Please note the following eligibility criteria. Applicants should:
- be studying for an undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline outside of NERC’s scientific remit (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, physics)
- be applying for a placement in a different department to their undergraduate degree,
- be undertaking their first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters),
- be expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree,
- be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (i.e. UK, EU or right to remain in the UK.